Guru Nanak, our first Guru was
born in 1469 and began
preaching about his vision
of the Sikh way of life in 1498.
Basic Principles of a Langar.
The purpose of Langar is to share the Blessings of Waheguru with all people.
It was started by our Gurus to promote equality, to feed travelers and the
sangat, and to promote the concept of sewa (service).
The guiding principles for langar are:
- It is always free.
- All are treated equally (the reason we sit on the floor).
- Food should be simple (to promote humility).
- Food should be treated as from the Guru and should not be wasted.
- Observe Gurdwara protocol (no shoes in the hall, cover your head).
- Preparation of langar should be done with the attitude of service and reverence.
- The preparation and distribution of langar is to be considered a form of Sewa.
- Langar is to be served to ALL without regard to race, status, religion or need.